ENFP (Extroverted, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceiving) and INFP (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceiving) Myers Briggs personality types both care deeply about other people and will work tirelessly to advance a beneficial cause. They are both incredibly attuned to other people’s emotions and are both very insightful. They tend to see the big picture, rather than the smaller, more insignificant details in a situation.
In spite of their similarities, ENFPs and INFPs are socially very different. An ENFP is an extrovert who draws energy from other people. An INFP, on the other hand, prefers to work from behind the scenes in a solitary role, if possible. Social situations can be very draining for an INFP but they are absolutely crucial for an ENFP to be happy.
Are ENFP and INFP Personality Types Compatible?
As with any other personalities, if ENFPs and INFPs are interested in making a relationship work, then they can do it. They have a great deal in common, as well, which should help things along.
Myers Briggs Personality Type ENFP
These are charming, charismatic individuals who thrive on new ideas, creative solutions and inspiring others. They make excellent leaders, especially in situations where they need to get people together and inspire them to work for a common cause. They may not pay particular notice to specifics or mundane, day-to-day tasks, but they will be the first one to suggest options that no one else considered.
4 Characteristics an ENFP Personality Type
- An ENFP personality is endlessly energetic and enthusiastic.
- They have a knack for challenging people to do their best and to be their best selves.
- ENFPs get so excited by novel ideas that it is easy for them to get distracted and not finish what they start.
- They can be impulsive and may react emotionally rather than logically.
Myers Briggs Personality Type INFP
INFPs are introverts who care deeply about others. They are creative idealists whose main purpose in life is to seek out ways of doing right on behalf of other people. They tend to be very private but also very emotional. They have a terrific sense of intuition about people and situations.
4 Characteristics of INFP Personality Type
- The INFP personality type often trusts their intuition over what facts may tell them.
- They shy away from large social interactions, preferring instead to have a small circle of friends that enjoy intimate get-togethers.
- They may hesitate to make decisions because they prefer keeping all of their options open.
- They retreat from most conflict unless it involves standing up for someone else.
Given that ENFPs and INFPs share three out of their four personality functions – Intuitive, Feeling and Perceiving – it makes sense that they have the potential to be a good romantic match.
4 Reasons ENFP and INFP Types Might Establish a Relationship
- If their personal values align, they will always be on the same philosophical page.
- They will each be very sensitive to the emotional needs of their partner.
- They have a similar communication style – they enjoy talking about ideas in the abstract rather than specifically.
- An INFP may be happy to have their ENFP partner take the social lead.
Even though they share many similarities, ENFPs and INFPs also have significant differences that could potentially cause friction in their relationship.
4 Reasons ENFP and INFP Types Might Have Great Romantic Connection
- ENFPs are eager to jump into relationships. INFPs are more cautious and thoughtful with their romantic lives.
- An INFP personality may find the relentless fervor of an ENFP difficult to deal with over time.
- If they have any differences in their core values, it will be difficult to maintain the relationship.
- Disagreements may be a problem because both personality types do not like conflict.
Romance / Love / Sex – The INFP and ENFP Relationship
A casual relationship may be one thing, but can ENFPs and INFPs fall in love with each other?
Given that both personality types will ultimately want a deep and meaningful relationship in their lives, it makes sense that ENFPs and INFPs could wish to pursue a long term relationship with one another.
ENFPs tend to be all-or-nothing type people. When they are in love, they are in it for the long haul and will do whatever it takes to make it work. They also love the drama of romance and being the perfect mate.
4 Ways an ENFP personality type might approach love
- They bring their excitement for life into their relationship and will be fearless about showing the world how they feel about their partner.
- The ENFP personality type is known to fall in love quickly.
- There will be constant texts, calls, words of encouragement and love throughout the day from an ENFP in love.
- They may tend to deny the faults in the person that they love.
INFPs want to be truly understood by others. When they find someone who loves them for who they truly are, they will not want to let them go. It may take them a while to build that trust with someone but when they do, they are completely content.
4 Ways an INFP might approach love
- An INFP will take longer to fall in love than an ENFP.
- They have very high standards for who they could potentially love.
- The INFP personality type tends to be very romantic.
- Like most introverts, regardless of how much they love their partner, they still need plenty of alone time.
Reasons why an ENFP and an INFP may mesh well in a relationship:
- When both personalities are in love, they are fully committed and willing to do whatever it takes to make the relationship work.
- They are both highly intuitive, emotional people who will understand and support how the other thinks.
- The ENFP’s natural take-charge attitude may inspire the INFP to feel more comfortable with their own social hesitance.
- They will be natural cheerleaders for one another.
Reasons why ENFPs and INFPs may encounter problems:
- Both will tend to be very idealistic about their relationship. With no one grounded in reality, neither might be willing to address potential issues.
- The ENFP’s extensive socializing might feel alienating to an INFP.
- Sexually, an ENFP personality type will tend to be more upfront and adventurous, while an INFP may feel more guarded and hesitant.
- INFPs tend to be very private about their personal feelings and this may be difficult for the ENFP to deal with over time.
Role of Gender in an ENFP INFP Relationship
Whether or not personality types conform to society’s gender role expectations will often affect how comfortable they they feel in their own skin.
ENFPs don’t much care about conforming to gender expectations. They are too busy lighting up a room and charming everyone around them.
Male ENFPs are natural leaders who are charismatic and bold. In that way, they seem to fit the stereotype of maleness. Their highly emotional and dramatic tendencies are less stereotypical but are often overlooked because of their strong, take-charge personalities.
4 Characteristics of male ENFPs
- An ENFP personality type tends to be known for their charm and persuasive ability.
- They love to encourage others to be the best possible versions of themselves that they can be.
- Male ENFPs tend to make any party better. They are gregarious, great story tellers and fun to be around.
- Their high energy level can get exhausting for other personalities.
Female ENFPs are dynamic women who know what they want and aren’t afraid to go after it. They don’t mind that it isn’t necessarily lady-like to be loud and boisterous leaders. They are intuitive enough, however, to read the room and tailor their approach to their audience and reign in the enthusiasm if need be.
4 Characteristics of female ENFPs
- They are warm nurturers who deeply care about others.
- They will have many friends, though not all of them will truly know their inner selves.
- They are known for being flirts, even though they aren’t necessarily flirting – they are just naturally friendly.
- Female ENFPs are fun to be around but don’t underestimate them – they are very bright.
INFP Myers Briggs Personality Type
INFP males have much more trouble in dealing with gender expectations than do female INFPs.
Male INFPs frequently feel misunderstood. They live in a world where men are expected to be dominant leaders when they are nothing of the sort. They care very deeply about others and live by a strict sense of right and wrong. Their tendency to be emotional often leaves them feeling out of sync with other men.
4 Characteristics of male INFPs
- A male INFP personality type will very often feel alienated from other men.
- They sometimes feel the necessity to hide their emotions in order to fit in with other men.
- They are naturally sensitive and caring but may only feel free to show such characteristics around women.
- They may feel more comfortable socializing with women.
INFP females tend to fit many gender stereotypes. They are quiet, emotional, caring and are often content to be in submissive roles. They should never be underestimated, however, as they are very clever, incredibility intuitive and can outfox most anyone.
4 Characteristics of female INFPs
- They are deeply caring and nurturing, and approach life with a sincere heart.
- They will go out of their way to help people, even to their own detriment.
- They tend to believe the best about people.
- Female INFPs often times feel awkward around others and are not happy with how they look.
Possible relationship scenarios between ENFP males and INFP females
An ENFP male is frustrated because his INFP wife is late paying some of the bills. Even though she hates dealing with finances and the smaller details of life, at the beginning of their relationship, she agreed to try to handle it. He knows she hates it but the problem is, he hates to do those things even more than she does.
An ENFP male is always in trouble with his INFP girlfriend because he is constantly playing practical jokes on her. She never really thought they were funny, but now she is getting really mad and may actually break up with him. He thinks she is overreacting.
Possible relationship scenarios between ENFP females and INFP males
After only a few dates, an ENFP female fell totally in love with an INFP male. For two months, she believed they were headed for marriage. Then she started to realize that his social awkwardness and general neediness were impossible to overlook. Now she’s trying to think of a way to let him down easily.
An ENFP female is always trying to get her INFP boyfriend to be more affectionate. She knows he loves her but wants him to show it with loving words and maybe even the occasional public display of affection. He can cuddle her in private but couldn’t imagine doing anything more intimate than holding hands in public.
INFP and ENFP Friendship
ENFPs are gregarious, light-hearted and fun. They will be friends with everybody they meet. INFPs are more reserved and choose their friends carefully.
Their natural charm and optimism tends to draw people to them. Typically, many people will view an ENFP as one of their dearest friends. The ENFP, however, may only have reciprocal feelings about a select few people.
3 Characteristics of ENFP friendships
- ENFPs find balance by having many friends from all walks of life.
- If there is a significant conflict in a friendship, they may abandon it all together rather than trying to work it out.
- Their friends should expect to be challenged by the ENFP to meet their full potential.
INFPs love their friends dearly. They usually have a small circle of close friends who may or may not know each other. They will be open with these few people, often shutting the rest of the world out of their private lives. It may end up being a lot of responsibility to be an INFP’s friend.
3 Characteristics of INFP friendships
- No one will be there for you like an INFP friend.
- They are very intuitive and will be able to know without being told what is going on in their friends’ lives.
- Their friendships tend to be very long lasting.
Can ENFPs and INFPs be friends?
Any two personalities can be friends, including ENFPs and INFPs, they just need to have the proper respect and understanding between them.
4 Reasons why ENFPs and INFPs might mesh well together
- They will tend to “get” each other from the heart on a very deep level.
- If they are friends, they will be likely to have similar values and interests.
- They will both tend to love having long, involved conversations about common interests.
- They will both love learning new things and will enjoy pursuing knowledge together.
4 Reasons why a ENFP an INFP friendship might get out of balance
- ENFPs can be too lighthearted for INFPs. Conversely, INFPs can sometimes be too serious for an ENFP.
- Their ideas of social fun will be radically different.
- Disagreements may be difficult as both personalities are uncomfortable with conflict.
- Both personalities tend to not be planners, so it may be possible that disorganization with weigh down the friendship.