When an ISTP and an INTJ come together in a friendship, marriage, or other long-term relationship, it may seem at first like these two have everything in common. Both are highly independent, prefer to be alone most of the time, and tend to hold logic and reason in high regard.
Many of these couples will believe that they have met their other half, and indeed, if these two make a firm commitment to understanding each other, and agree to meet each other halfway during conflicts, these relationships can and often do turn out to be deeply satisfying and successful through time.
At first glance, both the ISTP and INTJ personality types seem to have a good deal in common. They are both introverted by nature, are deep thinkers, and prefer to work alone and be independent.
However, how these two types of individuals view and interact with the world around them, and the people in their orbit, can be very different. Like in any relationship, both parties must be willing to work hard for the union to last, whether it be a romantic relationship or a friendship.
Summary Chart: ISTP and INTJ Basic Compatibility vs. Potential Conflicts
|Both are highly independent and prefer to work alone||ISTPs tend to be reality-based where INTJs live in imagination and abstract thinking|
|These two types often perceive each other as a missing puzzle piece in their life||ISTPs do not abide by strict rules or schedules where INTJs thrive on orderliness and rigid lifestyles|
|Both value logic and reason in general||Both may remain internalized if they do not have much in common, rather than working on their relationship together|
|They enjoy discussions on common shared interests and prefer smaller social groups, and do not mind giving the other space||The Judging INTJ may think a Perceiving partner to be too indecisive or casual, while the Perceiving ISTP may make them feel like their partner is too controlling|
Three Reasons ISTP and INTJ Are Well Matched
- Perceiver ISTP shows INTJ how to unwind and have fun, while judger INTJ likes to make the decisions
- Both seek solitude and do not mind being/working alone
- INTJ types bring orderliness to ISTP’s messy and spontaneous lifestyle
When both parties acknowledge and respect the other’s differences and needs, the relationship can become better all-around for it. Opposites do indeed attract in love and friendships, but it takes work from both to keep their relationship healthy, happy, and on an even keel.
It helps immensely to have activities, hobbies, and other interests that can help to draw and hold these couples together even when their different styles and characteristics pop up as they will always do.
Three Reasons ISTP and INTJ Are Not Well Matched
- Both lack communication skills in relationships so they may avoid conflict too much
- They sometimes think and behave in completely opposite manners, causing misunderstandings and annoyances
- Both typically do not have many other social support networks so may over-rely on their partners, causing friction
Since both personality types here tend to avoid seeking out others for socialization and company, when things go south in the relationship, it can cause one or the other to feel very alone and unsupported.
Most of the time both of these personalities will usually keep their emotions intact and under control. When a rift does develop, one or the other or even both parties may resort to uncontrolled and intensely emotional arguments or worse.
The two parties should learn how to navigate their combined life together. Both should work on improving communication with each other and and seek other support as well. This will help to prevent one party from leaning too much emotionally, mentally, or physically on their partner causing serious discord.
Communication between ISTP and INTJ couples and friends is not really a strong suit of this pair. Both personalities tend to be more introverted and subdued with little verbal, emotion-based expression. Some appear shy, but this is usually not the case; typically, they genuinely enjoy quiet and peaceful surroundings.
Where are They Strong, and Why?
These two personalities tend to not need much by way of everyday social conversation. However, both do like to engage in interesting debates on intellectual topics that both are interested in. Since the two are almost always highly intelligent with a wider vocabulary and well-read, for the most part, when they do converse, it is usually meaningful to each but perhaps for different reasons.
Where Do they Have Problems, and Why?
The ISTP will typically converse in everyday language in a down-to-earth manner, and the INTJ will often include abstract thinking and lots of imaginative narration which can irritate the more grounded-to-earth ISTP personality.
If these two parties in a relationship have not earnestly tried to understand and improve the conversations with one another, those talks could well escalate rapidly into highly charged, emotional outbursts with behavioral antics that may seem out of character when one is overstressed or feeling like they are not being understood.
How can ISTP and INTJ Improve Communication?
Both parties should continue to use a frank, straightforward, and earnest communication style that references logical facts and limit most overly emotional subject matter.
The ISTP will be more likely to use concrete types of details in their communication with the other. They have the tendency to focus on the physical steps in achieving some goal or following through with a plan.
In direct contrast, the INTJ will tend to use abstract details when in conversation. They are more interested in etiological types of communication, often trying to determine the reason that something was said. These individuals are often accused of not listening since their thoughts tend to gravitate towards those more elusive details in the conversation.
Things to work on for an ISTP include:
- Remaining patient and gently helping the other keep the conversation on track rather than jumping into a far-off future possibility
- Encouraging the other and praising them or showing interest in their ideas and thoughts about future changes that could help the relationship
- Remembering to give the other time to take in the full picture. It helps to reinforce steps to help ensure that the other party gets it right when the time comes Reminders closer to the event can be given using post-it notes, setting up phone/email reminders or marking their calendar
- Trying to follow through with any promises made
- Trying to not make last-minute changes or plans, as this will generally irritate an INTJ
- Refraining from embarrassing, belittling, or otherwise disrespecting their partner, especially in public
Things to work on for an INTJ include:
- Giving realistic examples in spoken narratives to their partner. Most abstract ideas and future thoughts are liable to transgress the understanding of an ISTP
- Showing their partner that dreaming of the future and considering the possibility of change is not always a bad or scary thing. This should be done gently and in tiny steps, as an ISTP may easily become overwhelmed and fearful of trying something new or changing the usual routine
- Keeping in mind that they may be harboring a blind spot when it comes to something they believe in firmly
- Trying to come down from the clouds once in a while, and making an effort to start a pleasant conversation
- Explaining difficult concepts with simpler and concise words when possible
- Giving their partner some freedom from time constraints and rigid rules
Where do they Connect, and Why?
Both types tend to be loyal, avoid fuss and drama, and are equally willing to uphold the other when it comes to parenting decisions and big life goals. Each also understands that both need some downtime alone.
- Their parenting styles are typically similar, or at least a mutual respect for joining forces exists
- They appreciate solitude and avoid most social scenes
- They have similar values such as loyalty and strong work ethic, and they are both thinkers who enjoy intellectual pursuits and conversation
- They’ll generally be forthright and tolerant of each other’s differences
- They connect with common activities, hobbies, and other shared pursuits
- They tend to be protective of each other
- They’re both easy-going and prefer a quiet lifestyle
Potential Areas of Disagreement
Despite many shared views and preferences, they nonetheless have some substantial disagreements over things such as:
- The smaller details of future actions, changes, or events
- How they think about change, how to approach a problem or when going through something challenging in life
- One or the other may become too bossy or controlling and the opposite with apathy and increased withdrawal from shared pursuits
- It is not uncommon for one partner to be more manipulative or emotional if not checked early on
- Environment status – one likes rules, cleanliness, and order and the other is more of a free spirit in the home environment
4 Things an ISTP Values
- Traditions – family, work, home life, children, and more
- Loyalty to family, friends, and partner
- Hands-on action to express their love, devotion or goodwill
- Enjoying the moment and a preference for spontaneity
4 Things an INTJ Values
- Good prospects for the future
- Analysis of problems and formulae for innovative changes to improve things
- Order, routine, and independence
- Views of the bigger picture and how to improve it
How Do the Values of ISTP and INTJ Match Up?
- Both are problem-solvers but go about it in different ways
- They usually agree on major decisions – but INTJ likes making decisions and can become controlling
- Both are loyal
- Both prefer smaller intimate friends rather than large parties
- They enjoy spending time alone and together on shared interests
- Both are confident in themselves and do not need oversight or flattering praise from others
- They are similarly protective of loved ones
Love Language/Love Style
The ISTP will focus more on physical touch as their preferred love style and love language. Although these personalities are not the most expressive of their deeper and hidden emotions, they do convey their love and affection for another by physical acts of love.
Since an ISTP is introverted and experiences life through the senses but tends to prefer their me alone time, it may be a bit difficult to understand when this personality is expressing their deeper love.
- A predilection for physically making or doing something to please another. Examples include crafting, woodworking, cooking a favorite dish, or creating a personalized gift basket.
- Deep loyalty and a surprising amount of affection for a partner in a serious relationship. They are wonderfully faithful and passionate in private settings, and they feel love and connection to others through all the senses.
- Perceptive of others, these introverts are comfortable in their own skin and do not mind solitude for work or in everyday life. At times, they can be spontaneous and might come off as reckless due to the randomness of when they do so.
- Natural curiosity and intelligence; knowing how to give delightful gifts that show their thoughtfulness and love.
The love style and love language characteristics of INTJ personalities can be summed up as acts of service and goodwill. These persons work hard, often giving up free time to complete a work project or to help others.
INTJs can be perfectionists when it comes to their work or their selfless acts of service to others.
- Hard work and constant willingness to help their partner with tasks
- Neglecting their personal needs so as not to let their partner down
- They are not keen on expressing their romantic feelings with words, but express love by finding solutions for their partner’s problems
- Enjoying deep intellectual conversations, a tendency to feel responsible for getting things done, and often being happiest when pursuing their work goals which are usually very large in scope and intent
ISTP and INTJ in Bed
ISTPs and INTJs often feel magnetically drawn to each other when they are in a space together. If they have shared interests, they can find lots to talk about and can feel safe with each other too.
At least in the beginning stages of the relationship, these couples often enjoy a satisfying and comfortable sexual relationship. However, both are not as comfortable in expressing their sexual needs and wants in words. This could lead to a lack of total satisfaction if not addressed and changed.
As both are introverts and like to spend time alone, too much time away from each other can begin to become normal, and this could put a stop to passionate sex. In general, the more things these couples have in common, and the level of commitment to the relationship each is willing to do, plays a huge role in what happens in the bedroom.
A bit of emotion and romance can actually be a good thing for this relationship if kept light and fun without undermining or embarrassing the other in some way.
ISTP and INTJ both usually feel that sex is an important component of their relationship. Some longer-term relationships may cool somewhat due to other life issues or just due to time constraints. Both have a tendency to get lost in their work or favorite activities away from their partners.
If both partners still enjoy each other’s company, it may turn out alright. Other couples will need to make a determined effort to reignite the love fires of passion by working to schedule intimate time together.
ISTP and INTJ Couples/Marriage
The ideal pairing of an ISTP and INTJ will share similar interests and hobbies and have the ability to lift up their partner and help them see certain things in a different context and light. These personality traits can indeed result in a happy and long-running relationship if each is willing to work hard on it when life hits those bumpy patches.
ISTP Male and INTJ Female
An ISTP male and INTJ female can develop a committed and mutually respectful marriage that often holds up long term. When the INTJ is a female, the tendency for highly imaginative thoughts and abstract details in spoken communication is often thought of as expected by the male ISTP partner.
The ISTP male can be gently encouraged by the female to pay more attention to household rules and her need for more organization in the home environment. The key for this couple is to talk together to problem-solve the issues that come up.
Both parties enjoy physical acts of labor for their partner, showing their deep affection, respect and love for each other. The male here may not be as assertive with planning time together and syncing dates and responsibilities for upcoming social occasions.
It is imperative to set firm boundaries for conflicts, especially with regard to negative words and relationship damaging behaviors.
ISTP Female and INTJ Male
When the ISTP is a female and the INTJ a male, the male often takes it upon himself to keep the female under control with his endless rules and need for exacting order on the home front.
While this relationship could be very loving and satisfactory for both, it will take effort and patience to learn each other’s comfort level with relationship matters and to respect them.
ISTP and INTJ Conflicts
Potential Areas of Conflict, and Why
- Extreme differences in cleanliness and keeping things well organized at home
- They may not have many shared interests once the honeymoon phase is over
- Lack of good relationship communication skills and respect for one another
- Inability to see the other’s viewpoints
- They may become so comfortable and complacent that the relationship becomes stale
- The INTJ party may bully or neglect their partner
- One party may not be able to speak up when hurt or unsatisfied
How Do These Two Parties Resolve a Conflict?
Conflict should prompt immediate attention to keep it from festering without one party’s knowledge or notice. Ideally, this conflict resolution process should begin early on in the relationship.
Engaging in enjoyable, shared pursuits together and performing acts of kindness and hands-on good deeds for each other works best for these introverted couples who tend to avoid conflictual discussions altogether.
How Do These Two Parties Build Trust?
It is important for these two parties to feel safe and comfortable in the presence of one another. Trust is only built through continual and consistent respectful communication and behaviors. Allowing each other their needed level of space and alone time is also crucial for building trust.
These two should set clear and mutually agreed upon boundaries in every life and relationship area where conflict is likely to occur.
ISTP and INTJ Friendships
These two personality types are usually drawn to the other and can make wonderful friends as well as romantic relationships. It is important to know one’s personality characteristics and to understand those of one’s friends for the best chance of nurturing a good friendship.
ISTP’s Usual Approach to Friendship
An ISTP will pick up on the other party’s emotions and behaviors faster and has the ability to adapt their own behaviors to make the other feel comfortable and safe.
INTJ’s Usual Approach to Friendship
Since this personality does not usually have a wide circle of friends, they are more apt to meet people who share common goals, values, and interests at their workplace or somewhere where they go often.
These individuals are not emotionally expressive in conversation or overt behavior, but they do show their interest in the other party by doing something concrete for them.
How Are ISTP and INTJ Together as Friends?
People with this personality type tend to engage in friendships with individuals who have similar preferences, traits, and interests. However, the differences between them can serve to complement each other nicely.
What Makes ISTP and INTJ Good for Each Other as Friends?
- Both are loyal and have shared interests
- They have a similar need for time alone and prefer a low-key social life rather than large parties or crowds which can seem overwhelming and uncomfortable.
- Differences in personality may end up being an advantage if they compensate for each other’s deficiencies and respect the other for who they are.
Is It Possible for ISTPs and INTJs to Be Close Friends?
Yes, this is very possible, and it is not uncommon since both types have fewer friends and acquaintances, in general, so there is usually less chance of competition for time and attention.
It is also common for these two to forge close bonds with shared interests and activities. In fact, many of these friendships become romantic relationships if the attraction is strong enough.
These individuals both need lots of time, understanding, and patience for them to really let their guard down and reveal more of their inner personalities.
Key Areas That Might Cause Problems for These Two as Friends
The introverted tendencies of both types often keep these personalities busy with work or other responsibilities. Both personalities are also little experienced in effective communication tactics, and a friendship could eventually run its course if a situation changes, they run out of shared interests, or too much time has passed to keep the friendship strong.m/?utm_source=bottom_links&utm_medium=links&utm_campaign=bottomlinks">Enneagram